MLB's 2013 Amateur Draft - THURSDAY, June6

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Captain Hook

MLB's 2013 Amateur Draft - THURSDAY, June6

#1 Post by Captain Hook »

MUST SEE television IMO - nice to see who goes where (even if we are not privvy to or understand all the reasons that clubs take or don't take certain players)

Plus nice to start a list of who to draft in your AL/NL only leagues minor league drafts next year.

I will try and blog some of my thoughts live at least at the start of Thursday afternoon/evening

Houston Lastros - You are on the clock

Captain Hook

Re: MLB's 2013 Amateur Draft - THURSDAY, June6

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Waiting for Houston's pick - hearing they are trying to work out a deal with Appel

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

1.01 Houston Astros - Mark Appel, RHP Stanford - hits 98 good secondary pitches and Appel a Houston native

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

1.02 Chicago Cubs - Kris Bryant, 3B, USD - best college bat in the draft

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

1.03 Colorado Rockies - Jonathan Gray, RHP, Oklahoma - second best pitcher in this draft - can hit 100 with fastball

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

1.04 Minnesota Twins - Kohl Stewart, RHP, St. Pius X High School, Houston, Texas

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

1.05 Cleveland Indians - Clint Frazier, OF, Loganville High School, Georgia

Was Gatorade National Prep School Player of the Year

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

1.06 Miami Marlins - Colin Moran, 3B, University North Carolina, Chapel Hill - excellent line drive hitter

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

1.07 Boston Red Sox - Trey Ball, LHP, New Castle High School, Indiana

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

1.08 Kansas City Royals - Hunter Dozier, SS, Stephen F. Austin University

Lots of speculation that since Dozier was at best a late first round pick that they may be able to sign him for less thus having extra money to spend on a compensation or second round pick to offer more to a player who might otherwise have returned to college or if high schooler had committment to college

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

1.09 Pittsburgh Pirates - Austin Meadows, OF, Grayson HS, Georgia

Captain Hook

#12 Post by Captain Hook »

1.10 Toronto Blue Jays - Phillip Bickford, RHP, Oaks Christian HS, California

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

I think that will do if for pick by pick description but will be glad to answer questions later or tomorrow about any of the players or picks.

PVH

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Three questions, Captain - my partner owns both Gray and Bryant in our NL only (lost out on Appel) - one for each;
  • Am I missing something? Why is "everyone" saying Gray is the big loser here? I think this is Christmas for him. I know it's Colorado, but they have a ready made offense that should still be prime by time Gray is ready and, let's face it, he's got stuff ...and that may just trump a mile high. if he goes to Houston, they may wind up rushing him and they have no offense to speak of. Or is there something that's just passing over my head?
  • Bryant - what's you opinion on his adapting to wood bats? I know many say he's the best power prospect in the draft but wood bats mean being pitched inside more than he's used to seeing. How do you think he'll adjust?
  • My partner took a gamble on Jarrod King. In your opinion, if he were to go to an NL team, which one would be the best fit for himand why?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#15 Post by Captain Hook »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Three questions, Captain - my partner owns both Gray and Bryant in our NL only (lost out on Appel) - one for each;
  • Am I missing something? Why is "everyone" saying Gray is the big loser here? I think this is Christmas for him. I know it's Colorado, but they have a ready made offense that should still be prime by time Gray is ready and, let's face it, he's got stuff ...and that may just trump a mile high. if he goes to Houston, they may wind up rushing him and they have no offense to speak of. Or is there something that's just passing over my head?
  • Bryant - what's you opinion on his adapting to wood bats? I know many say he's the best power prospect in the draft but wood bats mean being pitched inside more than he's used to seeing. How do you think he'll adjust?
  • My partner took a gamble on Jarrod King. In your opinion, if he were to go to an NL team, which one would be the best fit for himand why?

Gray - I think part of the "losing" was that he was thought to be going #1 or #2 which would mean a bigger signing bonus. Also Colorado is still a very tough place to pitch - especially for a young pitcher

Bryant - very good hitting mechanics and I expect him to be very successful - should probably start at A ball bypassing rookie league (which is too bad because I would like to see him)

King - sorry but I am not familiar with him (I see the top college prospects on occasion and note them when they get drafted but don't really focus on them until they are signed and playing)

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Thanks for the input, Captain. King's a Kansas State OF BBA had ranked 68th overall...but dropped all the way to round 5 to the Mets.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams