Draft strategy...

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Trav The Ump

Draft strategy...

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

So this year we have flipped our minors two round snake draft to before the auction, I actually am only making one pick as I figure Chris Archer is better than anyone I would get at #18 overall my 2nd round pick.

So I have the 6th pick, most of the top guys are gone. Here's who I have on my board;

Trevor Bauer
Mike Zunino
Bruce Rondon
Jonathon Singleton
Mike Olt
Austin Romine
Hiroyuki Nakajima
Addison Russell
Byron Buxton

Is it better to take a guy who could slot into my MLB squad ASAP more valuable than sitting on a guy like Russell? In my head I see Rondon and Bauer as no brainer's if they get to me. Than I personally really like Singleton, but grabbing Nakajima might be better for my squad going forward, or even Zunino?

Thoughts?

Captain Hook

Re: Draft strategy...

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

First my normal rant - it is Wrong to have the minor league draft before the auction - What if a player (Bauer, Nakajima, others) are on the 40 man roster and/or will be on the active rosters? Shouldn't everyone have a chance IF they really should be in the auction and not just a guy who has an early ml draft pick?

You don't give us any information about the salaries these ml draft picks would carry or how long you can keep them but in most normal leagues, Zunino should be #1 on any list - a good hitting, cost controlled, young catcher.

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Yah, this is our first year with it before. We moved it to the front because guys were stocking up their end game with $1 dollar fliers and depleting the minors draft before we got there. See how it goes.

$5 and contract is standard three year term once activated, you have two sundays to activate them once they are in the majors. Only exception is Sept. 1 and after that rule is waived. Your choice to activate or not.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Well I am sure you have heard this before ....but can't really help myself ... the reason most keeper leagues have their draft AFTER opening day (and why all keeper leagues should) is so that the auction pool doesn't have ANY ml players in it and the minor league draft stays pure.