Thoughts on which minor leaguers to keep

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
actuary316

Thoughts on which minor leaguers to keep

#1 Post by actuary316 »

I have a bunch of players who are eligible to be kept as "rookies" in my 12 team mixed keeper league. Rookies have a $0 salary as long as they never generate stats on my active roster. I can keep 4. Here are my choices:

Hak Ju Lee TB SS
Kolten Wong STL 2B
Bubba Starling KC OF
Wilin Rosario COL C
Dom Brown PHIL OF
Zach Lee LA SP
Wily Peralta MIL SP
Danny Hultzen SEA SP
Trevor Bauer ARZ SP
Jameson Taillon PIT SP

My reaction is to keep Brown, Hultzen, Bauer and Taillon but I don't want to regret dumping Starling. Which four would you guys keep?

Thanks for any input!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Thoughts on which minor leaguers to keep

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It is so rare that a rookie starting pitcher is even roster-worthy in 12-team mixed, I can't see keeping three of them.

He may not be that high on your typical prospect list, but for fantasy impact, I would find a place for Rosario.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

actuary316

#3 Post by actuary316 »

Thanks for the quick response Todd.

Our league allows 15 keepers plus up to 4 minor leaguers. The minor leaguers don't have to be used on the active roster, meaning you can keep them without penalty for as many years as you wish. I have/had no plans to use any of the 3 pitchers at all in 2012. I guess I am looking for which players have the highest ceiling/potential.

I guess I soured a bit on Rosario after last year with his brutal plate discipline.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

actuary316 wrote: I guess I soured a bit on Rosario after last year with his brutal plate discipline.
He's never had great discipline, but if you mean the strikeout rate, I'd give him more than 57 PA to judge, and he did hit 3 bombs in those 57 PA.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

actuary316 wrote:I have a bunch of players who are eligible to be kept as "rookies" in my 12 team mixed keeper league. Rookies have a $0 salary as long as they never generate stats on my active roster. I can keep 4. Here are my choices:

Hak Ju Lee TB SS
Kolten Wong STL 2B
Bubba Starling KC OF
Wilin Rosario COL C
Dom Brown PHIL OF
Zach Lee LA SP
Wily Peralta MIL SP
Danny Hultzen SEA SP
Trevor Bauer ARZ SP
Jameson Taillon PIT SP

My reaction is to keep Brown, Hultzen, Bauer and Taillon but I don't want to regret dumping Starling. Which four would you guys keep?

Thanks for any input!
Have you looked at my minor league prospect rankings? (Platinum)
If so I would prefer to have this discussion in that Forum

Before giving you my choices I would like to know a few things:
1) What is their salary assuming you activate them in 2013?
2) If you want to can you activate them later this year? at what salary?
3) How long can you keep a "rookie" on the farm list?
4) Will you get more rookies this year?

You have a very good group so just cutting will be painful. I might suggest trading some to improve your four keeepers but we can take a look at that once I have the information above.